Back to its regular Friday slot, it’s “What have you been watching this week?”, your chance to recommend to friends and fellow blog readers the TV that they might be missing or should avoid – and for me to do mini-reviews of everything I’ve watched this week.
We’re still in the quiet period on Fox, but the other channels have been continuing with their usual output. So, after the jump, The Apprentice, Being Erica, Boardwalk Empire, Chuck, Dexter, In Treatment, Life Unexpected, Modern Family and Stargate Universe.
- The Apprentice: Way to talk yourself out of winning, girlfriend. But whatshisface should have gone really.
- Being Erica: Haven’t seen this week’s, but last week’s “pride march” was okay. The problem I’m finding with this season is it seems a bit aimless, with each episode standalone and without any real reason for the therapy to be happening. There haven’t been any big revelations, the publishing side of things seem almost to have fallen by the wayside, I’m not really invested in the new characters and the old supporting characters’ problems seem to have diminished as well. So the show’s just kind of ‘there’. It’s still good, but not as good as previous seasons.
- Boardwalk Empire: More of a character piece, with some new people coming on board. Quite a violent ep, but man, this is a slow-moving show.
- Chuck: Yey, Timothy Dalton! A very good, very funny ep.
- Dexter: Very tense and yey, Julia Stiles.
- In Treatment: I don’t know whether it’s because these are now all original episodes rather than ones based on the Israeli original, but the show’s really not as engrossing or as deep as it has been in previous seasons. Only the first patient and Paul’s own therapy have been doing anything really interesting with gay teenage patient just irritating and Debra Winger’s character not doing much at all. I’m hoping things will improve in terms of the story, since the acting’s still phenomenal.
- Life Unexpected: What is this? The inappropriate relationship advice show? We have Lux have a very inappropriate relationship. We have Cate and Ryan in the stereotypical and somewhat disturbing “Woman hitting man, man restraining her, leads to sexual passion” scenario. Oh dear. I’m betting no one used a condom either.
- Modern Family: Possibly the least funny episode of Modern Family ever.
- Stargate Universe: Quite a weird ep, with revelations about Destiny, Chloe and Rush. It’s the start of some game-changing stuff, but it just felt like one of those endless time-looped Star Trek: Voyager episodes.
- The Trip: Reviewed here
- The Walking Dead: Reviewed here
But what have you been watching?
As always, no spoilers unless you’re going to use the <spoiler> </spoiler> tags, please. If you’ve reviewed something on your blog, you can put a link to it here rather than repeat yourself (although too many links and you might get killed by the spam filter).