As I noted a couple of weeks ago, the Welsh didn’t get much of a look-in on British TV until quite recently. For the most part, they were often the butt of comedy or segregated into cartoons, where they didn’t fare much better. Rarely even did the part of the Welsh character go to a Welsh actor: invariably it went to someone English who couldn’t do a proper Welsh accent.
To see what I mean, here are a few classic cartoons featuring the Welsh:
1) The Willo The Wisp episode The Dragon
2) The Ivor the Engine episode The Egg
3) And the Chorlton and the Wheelies episode Happiness is Hatched
You’ll notice that:
- There are no Welsh people doing the voices, only English actors doing bad Welsh accents
- In two of the episodes they’re over-excitable and evil. In the other, they have no respect for the natural world
- There’s a dragon in each one (although one’s not Welsh)
Just thought I’d mention it. Honestly, though, it’s really only an excuse for some old kids shows, seeing as it’s shaping up into nostalgia week, this week.