Not so much a review proper, as a few random thoughts about the series as a whole. Join me after the jump to avoid spoiling those who haven't watched it yet (although the pic's a bit of a spoiler and a half, I grant you, but I couldn't resist).
Not bad was it, once it settled down towards the end? The first episode was slightly all over the place, but hugely enjoyable all the same. Episode two started off dreadfully, but righted itself for the second half. Episode three was actually very interesting, since they started changing the book properly and injected a bit of backbone into the proceedings. Episode four was exciting, unbelievably enough.
- Jemima Rooper, who was very good throughout
- Catching up with Lizzie in the future
- Darcy's post-modern moment
- Amanda's lack of maidenhood preventing her from marrying Darcy
- The revelation that our first impressions (Ho, ho. A great big shout out to the Austen lovers out there) of Wickham from the book were in error and that he could be quite a decent bloke
- Catherine Bingley's Sapphic secret
- The near-restoration of the book's pairings and destinies, but altered by 2008's more liberal tendencies
- The fact that Lizzie isn't shown as a second class citizen in comparison to our new heroine and that she and Darcy could have made a go of it, if only she'd been the one caught up in the plot instead of Amanda
- The enbravening of Mrs Bennet and Jane Bennet
On the whole, rather a lovely, smart rom-com with additional period flourishes. The ending was slightly less than satisfying and Darcy really was a twonk and a half, but it feels like they've left it open for a sequel. Fingers crossed hey?
- October 21, 2008: What's ITV for?
What is the purpose of ITV?
- January 15, 2009: Big Finish for 2009
What to look forward to with Big Finish in 2009
- January 9, 2009: Review: Being Erica 1x1
A review of the first episode of CBC's Being Erica
- September 30, 2013: Review: Atlantis 1x1 (BBC1/BBC America)
A review of the first episode of Atlantis